home » products » Heating Fuel » BioHeat®
- Bio-fuel is the common term for all soy based fuel products. These include Bio-diesel and Bio-heat.
- Bio-fuel is a blend of traditional oil products and a soy or canola based fuel additive.
- Bio-diesel is a blend of traditional diesel fuel and a soy based fuel additive.
- Bio-diesel is used in transportation-based applications such as city buses, trucks and trains.
- Bio-heat is a blend of traditional home heating oil and a soy based fuel additive.
- Bio-heat is used in home and commercial heating applications.
- The soy-based additive in bio-fuel has 90% less sulfur or particulate emissions and therefore releases no harmful gases into the environment.
- Bio-fuels are made from renewable resources such as soy, which are grown on American farms.
- Bio-fuels can also be produced from waste vegetable oils generated by restaurant fry-o-lator's. (This process provides very little supply however.)
- Bio-heat is typically made up of soy based product, blended with existing heating oil in a measure of up to 20% soy based additive, combined with 80% regular heating oil. This mix would be labeled B-20. Important! Typical blending for the home market served by Proulx Oil & Propane/Reliable Oil will be 2% to 5% soy product blended with 95% to 98% heating oil. (Soy % + Heating % always equals 100). A mix of 2% soy is also called B-2. A mix of 5% soy is also called B-5.
- Domestic consumption of bio-fuel will reduce American dependence on foreign supply by as much as 20%.
- Bio-heat has much the same cold weather properties as regular heating oil and requires no difference in handling or usage as long as it is stored in an inside tank.
- We do not recommend higher than a 2% blend (B-2) in any outside tank. (It may freeze if exposed to severe cold weather).
Important!!! Bio-heat can be delivered and used in existing oil burning furnaces and accounts with no modification necessary.
- Bio-heat is proven to burn cleaner than regular heating oil and has a cleaning effect on existing furnaces resulting in reduced burner maintenance and cost! (Source: Brookhaven Testing Institute, a nationally respected testing lab, similar in scope to a UL Listing which as we all know is very well known in consumer goods.)
- Bio-heat reduces carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide emissions as well as soot and hydrocarbons resulting in a cleaner environment.
- Bio-heat will be delivered premixed to the customer.
- Bio-heat will also be available for customer to add themselves if they wish to burn a higher percentage than our 'standard delivery' blend.
- We currently offer our B-5 Bioheat at the SAME price as #2 Home Heating Oil!
For more information on Bio-heat and Bio-diesel, visit www.biodiesel.org, the website of the National Biodiesel Board.